The Cooperative Research Centre (CRC) for Construction Innovation is a national research, development and implementation centre focused on the needs of the property, design, construction and facility management sectors.
Established in 2001 and headquartered at Queensland University of Technology as an unincorporated joint venture under the Australian Government's Cooperative Research Program, Construction Innovation is developing key technologies, tools and management systems to improve the effectiveness of the construction industry.
Underpinning Construction Innovation is the most significant commitment ever made to construction research in Australia a seven year $14M Commonwealth grant and $53M in industry, research and other government funding. More than 350 individuals are participating and an impressive alliance of 27 leading partner organisations are involved in and support the activities of Construction Innovation.
Our broad and achievable mission is to:
- deliver tools, technologies and management systems that will improve the long term effectiveness, competitiveness and dynamics of a viable construction industry in the Australian and international contexts. This will be achieved through greater innovation in business processes, strengthened human relations and ethical practices, and more effective interactions between industry and its clients
- drive healthy and sustainable constructed assets and optimise the environmental impact of built facilities through sound conceptual basis for economic, social and environmental accounting of the built environment, virtual building technology to examine performance prior to documentation, construction and use and assessing human health and productivity benefits of smart indoor environments
- deliver project value for stakeholders for the whole-of-life, from business need, design and construction, through to ownership, asset management and reuse through improved communication and use of knowledge, increased productivity and value, effective delivery and management of whole-of-life assets.
Construction Innovation's objectives are:
- to enhance the contribution of long-term scientific and technological research and innovation to Australia's sustainable economic and social development
- to enhance the collaboration between researchers, industry and government, and to improve efficiency in the use of intellectual and research resources
- to create and commercially exploit tools, technologies and management systems to deliver innovative and sustainable constructed assets to further the financial, environmental and social benefit to the construction industry and the community.