Sydney Opera House FM Exemplar project
FM reports publishedFM as a business enabler
Construction Innovation has published a report on the outcomes of the Sydney Opera House FM Exemplar research project.
The project focused on three main research streams: digital modelling, services procurement and performance benchmarking. These have been combined into an integrated FM solution intended to have applications for the broader FM industry.
The project also has an international flavour with iconic facilities from around the globe being invited to participate, providing an opportunity to learn from others and showcase Australias FM applied research expertise on the world stage.
Adopting BIM for facilities managementThis is the second industry report developed from the Sydney Opera House FM Exemplar project series. It provides a comprehensive overview of the digital modeling research stream of the project lead by John Mitchell, principal of theconsulting company CQR Pty Ltd and consultant to Construction Innovation's research partner CSIRO.
The aim of the Sydney Opera House Facility Management (FM) Exemplar project is to identify best practice in the facility management industry using one of the world's iconic buildings as a model.
As a functioning performing arts centre andtourist attraction, the Sydney Opera House must demonstrate that its $19 million annual facility management budget is used effectivelyto provide value forstakeholders. Theproject participants are focused on creating 'route models' which, while designed for the specific needs of Sydney Opera House, can be applied to any class of building.
Three key research themes are being investigated:
- Building information modelling
Facilty management is one of Australia'sfastest growing and dynamic industries. Itcontributes $8.6 billion to the Australian economy and employs 135,000 people.
The Australian Government (through the Department of Industry, Tourism and Resources) has provided funding support for the development of the emergingfacility managementindustry, endorsing a Facility Management Action Agenda. The Sydney Opera House FM Exemplar project is a response to the recommendations of the Action Agenda.
The Action Agenda and the SOH FM Exemplar Project were officially launched by the Hon Warren Entsch, MP, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Industry, Tourism and Resources, on Thursday 28 April 2005 at the Sydney Opera House.The Cooperative Research Centre (CRC) for Construction Innovation has led the formation of a team of industry, government and research participants who will work together on the SOH FM Exemplar project under theleadership of Rider Hunt.
Building Information Modelling Stage One
The Building Information Modelling (BIM) section of the project is well underway with the first stage of the research now complete. This research has already brought to light a number of significant opportunities for SOH and has highlighted the possibilities that BIM holds for the broader construction and FM industries.The project teamThe Sydney Opera House FM Exemplaris a project of the Cooperative Research Centre (CRC) for Construction Innovation in collaboration with Rider Hunt, Woods Bagot, Transfield Services Australia, Sydney Opera House, Facility Management Australia, Brisbane City Council, Queensland Department of Public Works, CSIRO, Queensland University of Technology andThe University of Sydney.Media releases
- Opera House facilities management research takes centre stage [May07]
- Digital Opera House leads the way for facility managers [Feb07]
- Sydney Opera House goes digital [13 Sep 05]
- Sydney Opera House FM Exemplar project launch [28 Apr 05]
- Opera House backstage secrets revealed [20 Nov 06]
SlidesPublished media articles
- BIM at the Sydney Opera House [Jun07] EcoLibrium
- Facilities management takes centre stage [Jun07] National Building News
- The intelligent solution [May07] FM magazine
- FM Exemplar Project: FM as a business enabler report available [Mar07] FMA newsletter
- Preparing for the paperless world [Mar07] National Building News
- A model Opera House [Mar07] CRCs Success through innovation
- Sydney Opera House goes digital [Mar07] Australian National Construction Major Project Review
- Modelling the Sydney Opera House [Feb07] Master Builder Magazine
- Facility management practices the focus of innovation research [Feb07] CIN.net
- The benefits of 3D Building Information Modelling [14 Sep 05] Construction Equipment News
- Modelling system tested on Australian icon [Sep05] CIN.net
- Opera House leads by Exemplar [Jul 05] Construction Contractor magazine
- Ridding the Opera House of its inner phantoms[May 05] Solve (CSIRO) magazine
- FM best practice exemplar project [29 Apr 05] Local Government Weekly (see p3)
- Facilities management yearns for centre stage[28 Apr 05] Australian Financial Review newspaper
- Facility management a developing profession? [Apr 05] Master Builder (Qld) magazine
- The Sydney Opera Houseleading by example[Apr 05] National Building News magazine
- Building information modelling for FM using IFC (Project report)
- Review and analysis on benchmarking (Project report)
- Initial research on procurement (Project report)
- Open specification for BIM case study (Project report)
- Building information modelling for FM at the Sydney Opera House (Project report)
- Procurement case study and decision-making strategies (Project report)
- Benchmarking research report (Project report)
- Digital modelling (Project report)
- Services procurement (Project report)Refereed conference papers
- Facilities management action agenda: The Australian Government and industry working together for improvement (Refereed conference paper)
- An integrated collaborative approach for FM - Sydney Opera House FM exemplar (Refereed conference paper)
- Sydney Opera House facilities management exemplar project (Refereed conference paper)
- Building information modelling for FM using IFC (Conference paper)Journal articles
- Towards digital facility modelling for Sydney Opera House using IFC and semantic web technology (Journal article)Industry publications
- FM as a business enabler (Industry publication)
- Adopting BIM for facilities management (Industry publication)
Photos from the project launch:
Dr Lan Ding (CSIRO), Dr Keith Hampson (Construction Innovation), The Hon Warren Entsch MP, Mr Jason Morris (Rider Hunt),
Mr Paul Akhurst (SOH)
The Hon Warren Entsch, MP
Mr Stephen Ballesty (FMA), The Hon Warren Entsch MP, Mr John McCarthy (Construction Innovation), Ms Karen Hill (FMA)
Mr John McCarthy (Construction Innovation)
Dr Keith Hampson and The Hon Warren Entsch, MP
The Sydney Opera House FM Exemplar project participants