Awards / Conferences /Journal articles:
- Nominee for The Outstanding Young Persons of The World (TOYP) Award 2007 for the category of Moral and Environmental Leadership, organized by Junior Chamber International (Jaycees) the Worldwide Federation of Young Leader and Entrepreneurs.
- Honoree for The Outstanding Young Malaysian (TOYM) Award 2006 for the category of Moral or Religious Leadership, awarded by Junior Chamber International (Jaycess) Malaysia and the Ministry of Youth and Sports Malaysia.
- Granted the CRC for Construction Innovation PhD Scholarship Award the most prestigious scholarship of the field, funded by the Australian government and the industry, 2006.
- Promoted as the Head of Department (HOD) after only eight months of employment, the youngest HOD ever in Taylors University College and the youngest staff in the School of Architecture Building Design, 2005.
- Appointed as the (youngest) Member of the Board of Directors for Social & Economic Development Services (SEDS) a non-profit organization dedicated to raising the quality of human life and training junior youths and youths on Moral Leadership and taking social action for development of community, 2006.
- Appointed as the Management Board Member of the Institute for Development, 2005.
- Appointed as Assistant Auxiliary Board Member for Auxiliary Board of Counselors, Australasia, 2007.
- Appointed as the Member of Brisbane Bahai-inspired Community Development Committee by the Regional Bah Council for Queensland, Australia, 2006.
- Elected as the (youngest) Chairman of the Local Administrative Body of the Bah Community of Telok Panglima Garang, Malaysia, 2004.
- Appointed as the Regional Coordinator for Regional Bah Council (Central), 2004.
- Accorded by the Local Administrative Body of the Bah Community of Johor Bahru Tengah for his active and sacrificing service in the international arena, Malaysia, 2000.
- Prepared a highly commended annual report that was later adopted as the yardstick for future submissions by the Taylors University College, Malaysia. The report has also received high commendations from government and professional bodies, 2005.
- Appraised as one of the best lecturers at the School of Architecture Building Design, Taylors University College, Malaysia, 2004.
- Completed Masters by research degree six months in advance with highly commended thesis at the School of Construction Management and Property, QUT, Australia, 2004.
- The understanding and use of English language in the thesis was commented as an exceptional standard by an Australian professional editor, 2004.
- Granted QUT School of Construction Management and Property Scholarship Award, Australia, 2002.
- Accorded with Outstanding Contributions to the education of children by the Brisbane Bah Community, Australia, 2002.
- The Top Student of Bachelor in Quantity Surveying, UTM, with the following outstanding achievements:
- Gold Medalist, 2001;
- Deans Award Recipient, 2nd Semester, 2000/2001;
- Deans Award Recipient, 1st Semester, 2000/2001;
- Deans Award Recipient, 2nd Semester, 1999/2000;
- Deans Award Recipient, 2nd Semester, 1997/1998;
- Deans Award Recipient, 1st Semester, 1998/1999;
- Deans Award Recipient, 2nd Semester, 1997/1998;
- Deans Award Recipient, 1st Semester, 1997/1998;
- Recipient of the most Deans Awards;
- The Best Dissertation Award;
- Conference Paper was considered a far-sighted paper;
- The first student to have had industrial training in China on self-initiative;
- The first student to have had conducted research in China on self-initiative.
- The Top Student & Gold Medalist of Diploma in Quantity Surveying, UTM, 2000.
- The Best Overall Student, The Best Student (Science Stream), commended as excellent prefect in high school, Malaysia, 1996.
- The Exemplary Student at Primary and Secondary School, Malaysia, 1990 & 1996.
CIVIC, SOCIO-ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT & FAITH AFFILIATIONS:
- Initiator and Founder
Jenjarom Bah-inspired Community Learning Center, Malaysia.
- Member of the Board of Directors
Social & Economic Development Services (SEDS), Malaysia.
Jan 2006 Current
- Management Board Member
Institute for Development Malaysia
Jan 2005 Apr 2006
- Assistant Auxiliary Board Member
Auxiliary Board of Counselors, Australasia.
Jan 2007 Current
- Committee Member
Brisbane Bah-inspired Community Development Committee, Australia.
July 2006 Current
Bah Community of Telok Panglima Garang, Malaysia.
April 2004 April 2006
- Trainer, Childrens Class Teacher & Youth Facilitator
Brisbane Bah School and Neighborhood Virtues Classes, Australia.
2002 2004; 2006 Current
- Regional Coordinator
Regional Bah Council (Central), Malaysia.
Apr 2004 Apr 2006
- Beats for Peace Through the Eyes of the Young delivered at World Peace Day 2005, representing the Bahai Community of Malaysia, organized in collaboration with the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), Kuala Lumpur, 19 October 2005.
- Social Crisis and Community Building delivered at the North Island Bahai Summer School 2006 a national Bahai event, Hamilton, New Zealand, 26-31 December, 2006.
INTERNATIONALLY REFEREED CONFERENCE PAPERS:
- Lim, S.K. and Yang, J. (2007) Enhancing Sustainability Deliverables for Infrastructure Project Delivery, (abstract accepted for publication in the 2007 CIB and iiSBE Conference on Sustainable Building and Construction, to be held in December, Hong Kong).
- Yang, J. and Lim, S.K. (2007) An Integrated Approach to the Re-life of Office Buildings, Proceedings of the CIB World Building Congress 2007 on Construction for Development, Paper No. 15, 14-18 May, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Lim, S.K. and Yang, J. (2006). Identifying the Potential and Processes of Australian Involvement in Chinese Infrastructure Development, Proceedings of the CIB W89 International Conference on Building Education and Research, 10-13 April, HongKong.
- Yang, J. and Lim, S.K. (2003) Opportunities of Chinas Infrastructure Development and the Potential Australian Contributions, Proceedings of the Joint International Symposium of CIB Working Commissions, p.g 702-710, 22-24 October, Singapore.
- Lim, S.K. and Yang, J. (2002) Identifying Potential and Processes of Australian Involvement in Chinas Infrastructure Development, Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Architectural Interchanges in Asia, p.g. 157-163, September, China.
OTHER ACADEMIC PAPERS:
- Lim, S.K. and Hamid, R.A. (2001) Critical Success Factors & Risks in Property Investment in China, Journal of Built Environment (UTM), Vol. 5 No.1, p.g 27-35, November, Malaysia.
- Lim, S.K. and Hamid, R.A. (2001) The Prospect of Foreign Property Investment in Xiamen (Special Economic Zone), China: Some Observation on Critical Success Factors and Risks, Proceedings of the QS National Convention 2000, May, Malaysia.
- Lim, S.K.(2003) The Potential and Processes of Australian Involvement in Chinas Infrastructure Development, School of Construction Management and Property. Brisbane, Queensland University of Technology: Masters Thesis.
- Lim, S.K. (2001) Factors Affecting the Success of Foreign Property Investment in Xiamen (Special Economic Zone), China. Faculty of Built Environment. Skudai, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia: Bachelor Degree Dissertation.
SOCIO-ECONOMIC AND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT PAPERS:
- Lim, S.K. (2005) Vision on Community Building in Malaysia The Concept of Incubator opinion paper published under the Institute for Development Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Lim, S.K. (2005) Touching on Sensitive Issues the Barriers to Community Development opinion paper published under the Institute for Development Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Lim, S.K. (2005) Building a Healthy and Spiritual Community A Case Study on Jenjarom Community opinion paper published under the Institute for Development Malaysia, K. Lumpur, Malaysia.
PUBLIC FORUMS / TALK PRESENTATIONS:
Note: List of selected talks presented at public forums and seminars organized by NGOs and Faith organization all over the country in Malaysia and overseas in Singapore, Cambodia, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau and the mainland China, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.
- Building Community in Our Neighborhood presented at Brisbane Sector Coordinators Training Seminar, organized by Brisbane Community Development Committee, Brisbane, Australia, 8 April 2007.
- Unlocking the Heart of the Chinese People - A Journey of Learning & Break-throughs in Malaysia presented at the North Island Bah Summer School 2006, organized by the New Zealand Bah Community, Southwell School, Hamilton, New Zealand, 26-31 December 2006.
- Servant Leadership presented at the National Junior Youth Planning Retreat, organized by the Social & Economic Development Services (SEDS), Genting Highlands, Malaysia, 8-12 January 2006.
- Aspires to Noble Goals presented at the Breezes of Confirmation National Chinese Junior Youth Empowerment Camp, organized by the Social & Economic Development Services (SEDS), Balakong, Malaysia, 3-6 November 2005.
- Unlocking the Hearts of Chinese People presented at Regional Bah Summer School (Central), Port Dickson, Malaysia, 16-18 Dec 2005.
- The Power of Prayer presented at the Regional Bah Summer School (Central), Port Dickson, Malaysia, 16-18 Dec 2005.
- Social Crisis and the Three Core Community Activities presented at the Unity Camp B.E 163 17-19 December, organized by the Administrative Body of the Bah Community of Sabah, BCCM Kundasang, Ranau, Sabah, Borneo Islands, 2004.
- Community Development in Chinese Community - the Chinese Way presented at the Regional Bah Conference (Central), Balakong, Malaysia, June 2004.
- Chastity and Sex Education & Smoking workshops conducted at the National Chinese Junior Youth Summer Retreat, organized by the Social & Economic Development Services (SEDS), Genting, Bukit Beruntung, Malaysia, 11-13 June, 2004.
- Social Crisis and Community Building & The Importance of Spiritual Education of Children presented at numerous communities in Malaysia, including Sabah and Sarawak and overseas in Singapore, Cambodia, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau and the mainland China, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.
APPEARANCE IN NEWSPAPER/ MAGAZINE /BULLETIN/ NEWSLETTER ARTICLES IN DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE WORLD:
- Lim Soon Kam The Outstanding Young Malaysian Award 2006 published in Alumni Bulletin of Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM), Issue: January-December 2006, pg. 4, Malaysia.
- Lim Soon Kam Raising the Down-trodden published in The Oriental Daily Newspaper (A Chinese-language newspaper in Malaysia), Life Column, pg. C5, 8 December 2006, Malaysia.
- Lim Soon Kam Awarded as Outstanding Young Malaysian 2006, Academic Papers earned Him Scholarship; Forsook High Position to further Study published in The China Press (One of the leading Chinese-language newspapers in Malaysia), Central, 17 November 2006, Malaysia.
- Lim Soon Kam Helping Disadvantaged through Pure Heart, An Exemplary Model for the Young, Outstanding Young Malaysian Lim Soon Kam Hosted Feast to Thank Teachers, Parents and Villagers, Jenjaroms Pride published in NanYang Siang Pau Newspaper (One of the leading Chinese-language newspapers in Malaysia), 4 November 2006, Malaysia.
- Soon Kam is Outstanding Young Malaysian of the Year published in CRC for Construction Innovation Newsletter, December 2006, Brisbane, Australia.
- A Malaysian Alumnus has won National Recognition for His Humanitarian Work Towards a Better World published in QUT Links Alumni Magazine of Queensland University of Technology (QUT), Volume 10 (1), pg. 10, February 2007, Brisbane, Australia.
- BEE PhD Student Honoured in Malaysia published in BEELINE (Built Environment and Engineering Review for Alumni and Industry) of Queensland University of Technology (QUT), pg. 14, January 2007, Brisbane, Australia.
- Spiritual Education is the Key published in Waikato Times (the largest provincial newspaper in New Zealand), Your Faith, pg. 11, 22 January 2007, Waikato, New Zealand.
- A Passion for Serving the Community published in The Star Newspaper (One of the leading English newspapers in Malaysia), Metro Section, pg. M10, 27 November 2006, Malaysia.
- Award for Junior Youth Moral Education published in Bahai News Aotearoa (The National Newsletter of the Bah Community of New Zealand), front-cover news, Issue: Dec. 2006 Jan. 2007, B.E. 163, New Zealand.
- Award Highlights Moral Education for Junior Youth published in The Poinsettia (Brisbane Bah Newsletter) by the Local Administrative Body of the Bah Community of the City of Brisbane, front-cover news, 31 December 2007, Brisbane, Australia.
- Award Highlights Moral Education for Junior Youth published in the Bahai Canada Magazine, pg. 26-27, March 2007, Canada.
- Award Highlights Moral Education for Junior Youth published in Bah World News Service by the Bah International Community, 6 January 2007, Bah World Center.
- Brisbane Bah Helps Change Lives published in Australian Bah Report (The National Newsletter of the Australian Bah Community), Volume 11, Issue 1, pg. 2, February 2007, Australia.
- Bahai Wins Prestigious Award published in THEHEYDAY.COM (The Publication of the National Youth Committee of the Bahais of Australia), Issue 12: December 2006, Australia.
- A Bah Receives Prestigious Award published in The Phoenix (The National Newsletter of the Bah Community of Taiwan), Issue 14, pg. 15, Sept & Oct 2006, Taiwan.
- Award Highlights Moral Education for Junior Youth published in Bah News Turkey (The National Newsletter of the Bah Community of Turkey), 4 February 2007, Turkey.
- Lim Soon Kam Awarded as Outstanding Young Malaysian 2006 published in Hong Kong Bah News (The National Newsletter of the Bah Community of Hong Kong), pg. 4, 30 Dec. 18 Jan. 2006, Hong Kong.
- Award Highlights Moral Education for Junior Youth published in The National Newsletter of the Bah Community of Singapore, front cover news, 20 Jan. 2007, Singapore.
- Award Highlights Moral Education for Junior Youth published in Planet Bah News, Volume 5 Issue 46, 8 December 2006, United States.
- Bahai Hold Summer School published in Hamilton Press, News, pg. 9, 20 Dec. 2006, Hamilton, New Zealand.
- Award Highlights Moral Education for Junior Youth published in Bah News Malaysia (The National Newsletter of the Bahai Community of Malaysia), Issue: 4, pg. 7 & 22, 29 March 2007, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- The Pride of Jenjarom: Lim Soon Kam - Awarded as Outstanding Young Malaysian 2006 published in Sin Chew Daily (One of the leading Chinese-language newspapers in Malaysia), Metro Edition, 10 Nov. 2006, Malaysia.
- A Passion for Serving the Community published in Sabah Bah Newsletter, pg. 3-4, 12 December 2006, B.E. 163, Sabah, Malaysia.;
- Bah Wins Prestigious Award published in SarawakBahai.Org (The Official National Website of the Bahais of Sarawak), front-cover news, 14 April 2007, Sarawak, Malaysia.
QUOTES FROM THE SELECTED AUTHORITATIVE TESTIMONIALS:
(1) Soon Kam is an exemplar of the integrating spirit of the world-wide Bah-inspired Training Institute network. His dynamism and effective community involvement has resulted in the successful training of a most unlikely group of rural candidates to become active agents of change in a society so ridden with social ills.Reaching those with little formal education, he has shown that they can be empowered as facilitators of a multi-faceted knowledge delivery system, spiritually motivated, and designed to add to the quality of rural community life.
Professor Dr. Dwight W. Allen, Eminent Scholar of Educational Reform
Old Dominion University, Virginia, USA.
(2) His enthusiasm is truly contagious. The students and friends found his thoughts to be noble and high-aiming and were impressed by his active contribution to social well-being. Soon Kams sense of initiative, his understanding of world and social affairs, his devotion to serve the human race, and his ability to inspire and to motivate others, make him a model for youth, not only in Malaysia and China, but around the world. It is my ardent hope that his good deeds and meritorious service may be emulated by people of all ages on all continents.
Professor Dr. David A. Palmer, Director
French School of Asian Studies (EFEO), The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
(3) All this miraculous progress in his community was possible because they could see a role model in Mr. Soon Kam who himself had been putting Universal Principles of Unity, Peace, International Brotherhood in action. Soon Kams YOUTHFULNESS is the one which makes lasting impression on the minds of these children and youth and I have seen his dedication and commitment to serve the society. He is a real ambassador of Unity, Peace and Moral Excellence. There is unique blend in him of scientific temperament with spiritual commitment which enables him to bring principles in action making him a class apart from other youths of his age.
Professor Dr. Mangesh D. Teli, Chairman
University of Mumbai Institute of Chemical Technology, India.
(4) I have personally visited Jenjarom community. The social and moral programs' activities have markedly transformed their character and outlook. The success of Soon Kam's efforts has attracted great interest among many young parents in Jenjarom. In a social environment that glorifies material success and faces numerous social ills, Soon Kam and his friends are evolving a unique model of education that gives equal weight to the material and spiritual elements. This education model has been strongly influenced by Soon Kam's conviction that true human advancement should be based on human dignity and happiness, noble purposes, and selfless service to fellow citizens."
Assistant Professor Dr. Gan Hin Hark, Scientist
New York University, USA.
(5) In all, I would like to use three words to describe Mr. Lim FOCUS, SYSTEMATIC and INTENSE. He is sharply FOCUS on his purpose in life to be of constant service for the advancement of the society, SYSTEMATIC in his actions guided by a set of moral framework to exert constructive forces to the society and INTENSE in the execution of his social actions.
Dr. Kong Siew Huat, Chairman
The Bah Community of Macau, PR of China.
(6) Soon Kam is a model of what todays youths can do for their communityWhile others tend to glorify their own personal achievements; he, on the other hand, described himself so humbly, rather, he focused himself on telling the transformation stories of children and junior youth of his village. This is something rare in our current society. All of us should learn from him; achieved so highly and yet so humble.
Dato Ei Kim Hock, Assemblyman, Malaysia.
(7) "Growing up in one of the most notorious Chinese New Villages in the country, where the negative forces of society find its predominance, Soon Kam was undeterred by the destructive elements of his environment. Instead, he rose up with a strong sense of dedication to contribute significantly to the social well-being of his community by holding on strongly to his belief that social transformation can take place when individuals realize they have the capacity to serve humanity and make the world a better place."
Dato Dr. Singaraveloo a/l Muthusamy, Chairman
National Administrative Body of the Bah Community of Malaysia.
(8) Soon Kam is always prompted by noble and spiritual goals that transcend current norms. He exhibits strong moral and spiritual qualities in a humble and unassuming way. While his peers center on pursuing material advancement and personal gain, he focuses on the needs of others and constantly engages in helping others to better themselves. This is highly exemplary.
Dr. Lee Lee Loh Ludher, Top 200 Women Leaders of Modern Malaysia.
(9) Mr. Lim Soon Kams dedication to his community ethos is closely reflected in his approach to his research and the community of scholars in which currently he finds himself. His intellectual capacity provides a strong foundation from which to undertake research aimed at bettering industries and communities.
Associate Professor Dr. Stephen Kajewski, Head of School
Queensland University of Technology (QUT), Australia.
(10) In his studies as well as his community work, Mr. Lim reflects an admirable desire to build better communities. We are delighted to have someone of his caliber as one of our scholars.
Mr. Peter Scuderi, Chief Operating Officer (Research & Commercialisation)
CRC for Construction Innovation (CRC-CI), Australia.