To effectively manage road infrastructures, road agencies require sound information based on knowledge and data describing the assets to support their investment decisions. This research project has developed innovative ideas on the quality of the decision support process for road agencies, namely:
- road agencies need to optimise expenditure for asset data collection by determining the minimum amount of data required to predict maintenance and rehabilitation costs without jeopardising reliability
- road agencies need to accurately predict the deterioration rates of infrastructure to reflect local conditions so that realistic budget estimates can be calculated.
Methods developed by the research team for effective decision making for road asset investment include:
- optimising data collection
- calibrating pavement performance models
- assessing risk (probability) of errors in budget estimates.